He has shown you, oh man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you: to walk justly, to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8

Saturday, June 6, 2015

Music & Cookies


We have a new 5th grader at Hope of Bastion and she is so sweet. I've stayed after school with her when her parents were late to pick her up from school and we bonded. She said it was too dangerous for her to walk home by herself. Too many robbers. It's sad that a 5th grader knows that this is a reality in her neighborhood. Since she's a new student, she doesn't have sponsors yet. I think she wrote this letter to me because everyone else was writing letters to their sponsors and she decided to write to me. So special!!


I went out for coffee with a friend after school and then went back to the school for music practice. I don't have a picture of those kids (7th graders- 2 flutes, 2 clarinets, 1 trumpet), but this was happening at the same time. Bastion Popular is rich in musical talent.   



Kenia and I have been trying to get together for a few days now but this girl is busy with college, English courses, helping out at Hope of Bastion, and taking care of her husband who got chikungunya (this crazy mosquito disease that's been going around- high fever, makes all your joints hurt and lasts from a week to a month). Anyway, Kenia asked if we could make cookies! Thanks to the Mennonite cookbook, we made delicious chocolate chip cookies and sugar biscuits. Kenia told me that she never made cookies with her mom growing up. She said she felt like those kids in the movies! 





No comments: