He has shown you, oh man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you: to walk justly, to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8

Monday, June 21, 2010

What a Week!

Let's start off with something nice. A wedding! A week and a half ago, I went to Mayi's civil wedding. Everyone here has to be married by a judge, and then, if you want, a church service follows. Mayi's church wedding is in July. The picture: Willian (friend), Rolando (pastor), Mario (groom), Mayi (bride), Antonietta (grandmother), Me!
OK. Time for the not-so-nice-stuff...

I'm glad I'm not learning all there is to know about life in the slums at once. I think I might spontaneously combust upon acquiring all that knowledge. I'm being confronted with issues that I have never before dealt with, let alone knew anyone going through said issue. Let me give you a few vague ideas of what we're dealing with over here.

1. Babies, Babies and more Babies. Why didn't *** come to the Bible study? Oh she stayed home with her boyfriend. She wants another baby. (she is YOUNG, already has 4 kids, different fathers, and they new boy is youngER- we're talking high school age...)
2. Speaking of young, my friend's sister got married when she was 14. FOURTEEN!!!!!!!!!!
3. Erin can you help me? My sister left our house, and is now living as a prostitute. We want to get her out of that place, but our dad won't let her come home. Can she live with you?
4. My friend is part of a real family feud, involving murders, revenge, and the hope of forgiveness through Christ.
5. Finding a free screwdriver on the street at night, if you're a boy, does not mean, "hey! free screwdriver". It means, "I hope no police see me with a screwdriver since they'll assume it's a weapon..."
6. Our church was robbed. The thieves stole our sound system.
7. We (not me! I'm clueless) know who did it, but I don't think anything will be done about it.

And I'm sure I'll continue to learn more...

No comments: