He has shown you, oh man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you: to walk justly, to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Recorders! (and an unfortunate umbrella story)


I have received so many recorders! About 1 month ago, I sent out a plea for new and used recorders to my Facebook friends. I got an overwhelming response of recorders, pre-corders and flutaphones! The used instruments are currently enjoying a thorough bath in the dishwasher (see pic above), while the others are taking over my room. I'm EXCITED that all of my Ecuadorian music students are going to get to learn how to read music by playing the recorder; I'm DREADING my days full of squeaky recorder noise! Any music teacher, mom, dad, or basically any citizen of the United States understands how torturous this instrument can be on our beloved ear drums. But obviously, I think it's an important part of music education, so I'm bringing down full suitcases. My favorite part of this project has been the great excuse to reconnect with so many different friends! Thanks to everyone who's donated a recorder!!

Other than my recorder project, things at Star of Hope are going.... well, let's just say, they're going. Last week I sold a woman's umbrella to someone else. She put it down, I sold it. Needless to say, she was NOT happy with me. Actually, she was more upset with the lady who unsuspectingly bought the umbrella that she found on the ground (I sold it for $1!!). After running down the street looking for the woman, she came back to the store and called down the wrath of God on the lady saying, "I'm a spiritual woman and I DECLARE she will get what's coming to her" and then threatening, "Oh if I ever find her..." So, end of the story, we gave her another umbrella.

1 comment:

Kim DeGregorio Roth said...

hahahaha. funny umbrella story, yikes!