He has shown you, oh man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you: to walk justly, to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Back in Paterson

I always seem to be home right when Star of Hope Ministries in Paterson needs help. This works out well for everyone, since I can provide some well needed vacation time, as well as speak Spanish every day! Friday was my first day back, and it was interesting! I'm selling things in the thrift store, and making up prices as the day goes along.
Sometimes I say prices that the people accept. Sometimes I don't. One lady yelled at me (in Spanish) and said, "There's no way I'm going to pay $3.00 for a pair of jeans when I know I can get them for $2.25. " Then another lady dumped tons of stuff on the counter, and after I told her all the prices, she told me off, in Spanish, about how exorbitant they were. My supervisor walked in, just at that moment, and said, "Erin, is that just how Spanish sounds, or was she upset?" I'm really not giving bad prices; they're exactly the same as what the other woman says. This other lady came in preaching at me about how wonderful thrift stores are (I agree!) and how she'd never shop anywhere else. But then the next words out of her mouth are about how she only comes here because it's close to her house, and she really wouldn't ever come here except for the fact that it's close. Thanks a lot lady! I happen to think we have great stuff at, might I add, wonderful prices!

No comments: