He has shown you, oh man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you: to walk justly, to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8

Monday, August 31, 2009

Project China




SWAM (Socks With a Mission) had a successful end. I gave out the last of the socks on a cold day to a lot of barefoot kids. When they heard I was giving out socks, a lot of kids from the neighboorhood ran over (in bare feet) to get some. My rule was that they had to actually put the socks on in my presence so that I knew they'd actually use them, and not sell them!

Today I got an email from a friend from high school, asking how she and some friends could get involved and help out some of these kids. It's really fun to be able to help people in need, but I've found that it can also be very difficult. If you give to too many people, everyone believes that they are entitled to what you are giving and those who don't receive, get angry. Also, I like to know that the people actually need and want what I'm giving, and not turn around and sell it to someone else.
Project China
See that classroom? That's luxury compared to Nino Jesus China. They don't have real walls. Just some cardboard that the kids have painted. Read "Tears" for more info on the kids situation. Project China will make 120 gift bags for the kids in this school. We want to put together bags of non-perishable foods, toothbrushes, toothpaste, toilet paper, soap, etc for every kid in the school. Here's how YOU can be involved, if you'd like:
1) You can drop things off at my house between Sept 9-17
*but please keep airplane weight limits in mind...
(washcloths are preferable to shampoo bottles)
2) You can send a check to CMML with my name in the memo.
(If you send a check to CMML, know that I will recieve all the money, but please send me a note on my blog or email to let me know that you want the money specifically used for Project China)
P.O. Box 13, Spring Lake, NJ 07762

No comments: